The chosen project, initially completed in 2018, was to design and test a prototype for an app aiming to encourage sustainable habits and practices among students through gamification.
I chose to redesign this project as it was one of my first attempts at product and user experience design at university, but I felt that the visuals and overall style of the original piece lacked in comparison to what I am now capable of.
This updated version was made in Figma, rather than Axure like the original project, so that I could have more control over the style of the prototype, whilst using industry standard software.
During the initial project I spent more time on the overall user experience and features of the app than on the design and branding. I did not consider the overall feel or style that I wanted before I began to create the prototype and had no documentation to consult. This led to making design decisions without much thought and a disjointed and inconsistent feeling prototype overall.
Feedback on the initial project also drew attention to the lack of contrast between text and background colours so I wanted to be considerate of this and other accessibility concerns in the new design. This was achieved by ensuring text colours and font choices were suitable for mobile and had a high enough degree of contrast.
Using Figma instead of Axure meant that I was more restricted when it came to turning the redesigned app into an interactive prototype because of the limited prototyping features. However, I did not plan to test the redesign with users as I was keeping the same features and functionality present in the original version. Creating a prototype allowed for the new designs to be presented in a clear and logical way. If a more robust prototype was required for testing in future work, InVision could be used in addition to Figma or adapting the design into Axure.